Monday, July 6, 2015

Holy Guacamole!!!

I'm fairly certain my grandma never made, and maybe never even tried, guacamole. She was very much a "farm cook." And avacados don't grow well in Nebraska. However, guacamole is one of our little family's favorite snacks. I seem to make it differently most every time I make it. This last batch though was worthy of writing down what I did. It was AWESOME. My very pregnant sister in law loved it. I may need to make her a batch this coming week for putting up with all of our 4th of July shenanagins.

Before I share the recipe, here are some keys to making awesome guacamole:

-Select great avacados. I LOVE the ones they have at SAMS club. They have never done me wrong. I like "chunky" guac, so I don't want them over ripe. This picture really is very accurate in determining this.
\
(photo credit: www.myfridgefood.com)

-Make sure you use "something" to prevent your avacodos from browning. I like using fresh lime juice (see recipe below) But also pressing plastic wrap down directly on top of your guacamole helps. 

-BE CAREFUL TAKING THE PIT OUT!!!! Yes, I know this from experience. For as tempting as it is to use a knife to "stab" the pit.... DO NOT DO THIS.... if you miss... your knife will quickly go through the fleshy avacodo and into your hand. This requires a trip to Urgent Care. And that just puts a damper on the evening. Pictured is the CORRECT WAY.
(photo credit: www.simplyrecipes.com)

-You will see in the recipe below I use two of my all time favorite seasonings. One is the Fiesta Party Dip Mix, the other is Garlic Garlic. Both are Tastefully Simple products. These (along with Onion Onion, and Seasoning Salt from TS) are pantry staples for me. I only wish they sold them in 5 pound bags instead of little jars. If you do not have these you could sub 3-4 cloves of garlic and a couple of jalapenos for the heat in this. I "usually do use" jalapenos, but I didn't have any on hand, and really wanted to make this for our boat trip on Friday. I LOVED the Fiesta Party Dip Mix. PLUS you can control the heat more than with a fresh pepper. 

-You will notice one very comon guacamole ingredient completely missing from this... that is fresh cilantro. While I'm sure it would be lovely in here... I am very allergic to it. So, feel free to add it, just don't ask me to taste test. 

-If you prefer "creamy" or "creamier" guacamole, you could throw all of this into a food processor, and viola.... creamy!

GUACAMOLE RECIPE:

Ingredients:
6 medium avacados (conviently that is what comes in a bag of them from SAMS), small diced.
2 medium tomatoes, small diced
1/2 red onion, small diced
Juice of 2 fresh limes
1/2  t. fresh ground black pepper (about 15-20 grinds)
1/4 t. salt. (I don't use much, because typically the chips we use to dip this with are pretty salty)
1/2 lidfull of Garlic Garlic (or 3-4 minced cloves of garlic)
1 lidfull of Fiesta Party Dip Mix (or 2 finely diced/seeded or not, jalapenos... or more if you like more spicy.)

Directions:
Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Cover. Refregerate for 2-3 hours. Serve with chips. 


Easy Peazy!!!! ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment